Online gambling sites in the USA can be frustrating. From state to state, there are a bunch of restrictions and loopholes in place that make online casino gaming various levels of legal.
Despite the regulations, there are many online casinos like Bovada that offer multiple games to US players, including slots, table games, video poker, sports betting, and more.
Here we’re going to give you some online gambling tips and the rundown on the 5 best online casinos in the United States.
Let’s get to it!
Top 5 US Online Casinos
US Online Casino for the masses
- 500% welcome bonus up to $5000 (conditions apply)
- 100% match welcome bonus option
- 287 online casino games
- Open to most US players
Started in 2016, CafeCasino is a US-facing casino based in Costa Rica. This online gambling establishment is available to play for real money in most US states, and the minimum deposit is only $10. It’s easy to get started if you want to give some of their slots or virtual table games a try.
The 500% welcome bonus (up to $5000) lets you gamble in their Super Play games, though conditions apply if you win. You could also choose to use their dollar-for-dollar 100% welcome bonus which has fewer restrictions, though there is a playthrough rate of 25x required to keep any of the winnings, so bear that in mind.
God, I hate playthrough rates.
With nearly 300 online gambling games to choose from, there’s a lot to love here, especially if you like slots. Payout times are also very fast, with most methods taking 1-3 days at the most. However, there are no live casino games on the site at all, and the maximum withdrawal for checks is a measly $50.
- Available in most US states
- Minimum deposit only $10
- Two different welcome bonuses to choose from
- Fast payout times (1-3 days on average)
- NO live casino games
- Maximum withdrawal $50 for check
- Welcome bonuses have lots of conditions attached
Top casino online since 1997
- Over 50 slots (including jackpots)
- ONLY available in New Jersey at the moment
- Up to $1,500 available in welcome bonuses
- Very good Live Casino games
- Regular promotions to attract American players
Currently limited to NJ, 888 Casino is an online casino based in Europe which soon hopes to expand to other parts of the United States. The online casino is famous for its slot machines, boasting over 50 online slots, including many progressives with multi-million-dollar jackpots.
If you’re a fan of branded slots, you’ll love 888 Casino. You can find fun themed slots adorning everything from South Park to KISS, and the software that runs everything has a nice seamless experience. Overall, the site is a pleasure to use and the UI is very intuitive.
After all, gambling shouldn’t be hard work!
888’s downfall is its table games and video poker, which are a little lackluster. There are just 8 table games (4 versions of blackjack and 4 versions of roulette) which seems a little low. Also, if you’re a high roller, make sure that you don’t win too much at once – there’s a $30,000 monthly withdrawal limit. Yikes!
- Win real money in New Jersey
- Over 40 slots and 10 progressive jackpot slots
- Multiple deposit payment options
- Up to $1,500 in welcome bonuses
- Low deposit minimums
- Can’t be played outside NJ right now
- $30,000 monthly withdrawal limit
- Customer service is lacking
- Limited table games and video poker
They’ve got a little bit of everything!
- Multiple online casino games and slots
- Sports betting and horses betting
- E-sports betting
- Live Blackjack and Live Roulette dealers
- US Players allowed
Established in 2011, Bovada is a US-facing online-casino based in Canada. This online casino is generally regarded as a trusted brand, and you’ll find that their website is intuitive and their customer support team is very helpful if you do run into any problems on the site.
It’s also insanely popular in the US.
Bovada offers you multiple types of online gambling all in one place. You can bet on sports including Tennis, Golf, Football, and Soccer, as well as gamble on horse races. They’ve got online slots and a live casino section, and they even offer old-school casino games like Craps, Rummy, and Baccarat too.
One of the most interesting things about Bovada is its recent expansion into online E-sports games. You can now bet on the outcome of several Esports video games, including League Of Legends and Dota 2.
When it comes to US online casinos, few are as diverse as Bovada.
- Very diverse selection of casino games and sports betting
- 100% welcome bonus up to $1,000
- 125% welcome bonus up to $1,250 for Bitcoin users
- Live Blackjack and Live Roulette
- Bet on Esports games
- 4.9% fee for credit card deposits
- Not available in DE, MD, NJ, NV, or NY
A very trusted casino brand
- Sports betting in NV, NJ, IN, CO and WV
- In-play betting during sports matches
- 256 online slots (inc. 11 progressives)
- 4 Live Dealer Casino Games
- Win real money in 5 US states
If you’re looking for a trustworthy casino online, look no further than BetMGM. Owned by the same company that runs the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, this is one of the most reputable USA online casinos you’ll find. However, it’s only available in 5 states at present – Nevada, New Jersey, Indiana, Colorado, and West Virginia.
New Jersey natives get all the casino games, while the rest are limited to sports betting.
Still, this online casino has 256 online slots to peruse, including 11 progressive jackpots. You can also explore the 4 Live Dealer Casino Games of Blackjack, Roulette, Casino Hold ‘Em, and Baccarat. The minimum deposit is just $10, and there is a first bet refund guarantee up to $500.
Not bad at all!
Really, BetMGM is all about the sports betting – you can tell it’s been designed primarily as a Sportsbook that just happens to offer other casino games. With BetMGM you can put real money down on sports matches including Football, Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, and much more.
You can even do in-play betting – where you gamble on the events of a sports game as they take place in real-time. This online casino really is one of the best gambling sites for sports fans!
- Reputable and well-known brand
- Lots of slot machines
- 4 Live Dealer Games
- Low minimum deposit
- Brilliant for sports betting
- High bet requirements for welcome bonuses
- Only NJ players have access to all features
- Not open to all US players
- NV residents need to sign up in person at a casino
Making US online gambling accessible to all (kind of)
- Win real money in 49 US states
- Legal sweepstakes casino
- 10 free sweeps coins when you sign up
- Exchange virtual winnings for real money
- Slot tournaments with shared prize pools
One of the best online casinos for sweepstakes games, Luckyland Slots can be played in all 50 US states except Washington State. In case you’re not familiar, sweepstakes online gambling is when you play with virtual money and then exchange it for real money.
Luckyland Slots isn’t like most gambling sites on this list – you’re playing with other people for a share of the winnings on the game of your choice. There are quite a lot of games to choose from, though it’s basically all slot machines due to the sweepstakes system which must use random winnings where no player skill or strategy is involved.
As an unskilled gambler, I approve!
1 “Sweeps Coin” equates to 1 US dollar in your account, so if you win 20 sweeps coins then you win 20 US dollars in your account. This sweepstakes online casino is not the kind of place where you’re going to become a millionaire, but it’s a great way to gamble for fun, especially if you’re not able to use online casinos in your state.
- One of the best casinos online for sweepstakes
- Many slot tournaments to choose from
- Legal in most US states
- LuckyLand Slots app available for mobile users
- You need a bank account for withdrawals
- You’re not going to win a massive amount of cash
Free Casino Games VS Real Money Casino
If you go to use a US online casino, chances are that you might have the option to play “free casino games” or to play online games for real money. Here I’m going to explain the difference between the two:
Free Casino Games
Casinos that offer free games allow you to play their slots, tables, video poker, and other things with virtual money. In other words, you put no real money into their website and you will receive no real money back if you win. Sometimes you can also sit in on the live tables too.
But why would someone NOT want to win money?
Well if you’re a relatively inexperienced gambler who wants to improve, it makes way more sense to use free casinos where you aren’t going to lose your money by messing up. Also, if a brand new game comes out that you want to try, free casinos allow you to play the game, understand the betting system, and get a feel for the odds without actually putting cash down.
Basically, you can play for fun and learn how to play new games.
Real Money Casinos
As the name implies, real money casinos allow you to play and win real cash online. These online casinos work similarly to regular casinos, though there are many restrictions in several US states.
Various USA online casinos are legal in different states for different reasons, while some can only be played in State X if you’re doing video poker but NOT sports betting, for example.
It’s all very confusing, so be sure to read up on the laws for your state.
But yes, if they’re legal in your state, these USA online casinos allow you to win real cash which you can withdraw into your bank, credit card, PayPal account, or various other systems.
Although free gambling is entertaining, the risk of winning or losing real sums of money is what many people enjoy about online gambling – it’s all about the thrill.
How Do Sweepstakes Casinos Work?
100% legal in all 50 states except Washington State, Sweepstakes casinos work through a series of legal loopholes where technically the players are entering into a sweepstakes competition.
This means that there is no entry fee, the prizes are shared between large groups of players, and the gamblers win “Sweeps Coins” or “Gold Coins” which can appear as real money in their account after the game ends.
Technically, you’re not betting real money, so it’s not gambling.
Sweepstakes games are much more limited, as they have to be down to random chance, so there can’t be any player skill or strategy involved in the winnings. Sweepstakes casinos usually use slot machines and online casino slot tournaments as their platform, with the winners being chosen at random.
You’re not going to win a ton of cash in these online casinos, but it’s still good fun!
Maximizing Online Casino No Deposit Bonuses
Most online casinos offer welcome bonuses, but some also offer no deposit welcome bonuses. In other words, you can get free cash to play with in the online casino without having to spend a dime of your own money!
As you can probably imagine, there are a lot of asterisks attached to these No Deposit Bonuses, but here are some tips to maximize their effectiveness.
- Look for small wagering requirements – if a casino online gives you free cash, they’ll usually have rules in place that you must bet high with it straight away so that you’re more likely to lose it early on. You should also keep an eye out for playthrough rates, where you’re forced to play X amount of times with the money.
- Check that the money is actually withdrawable – some online casino companies give you a “no deposit bonus” but you can’t actually withdraw any of the money you win by spending it.
- Make sure there isn’t a limit on cash winnings – many US online casinos will cap how much real money you’re allowed to withdraw as a result of their No Deposit Bonuses. For example, you could win $10,000 but only be able to withdraw $2,000 if that’s the cap.
- Play in progressive jackpots – if the online casino games include progressive jackpots, these are one of the easiest ways to win big, big money. Of course the odds are low, but if your No Deposit Bonus isn’t capped too high, it could be worth trying.
- Check the casino game limitations – a lot of the time, your bonus money will only be useful for a small number of games. Often, it’s limited to slots or sweepstakes-style competitions. If you’re looking to play table classics like Roulette and Blackjack with your No Deposit Bonus, make sure that your USA online casino of choice allows it.
Conclusion – Which Online Casinos Should I Try?
Looking for online casinos in the USA isn’t easy, as the legality of online casinos varies massively from state to state.
Nonetheless, if you’re after a brilliant online casino that accepts US players (or most of ’em anyway) then I’d recommend Bovada. Bovada has a VERY diverse selection of games, live dealers, sports betting, E-sports betting, and a 100% welcome bonus up to $1000.
If Bovada isn’t up your street, I’d say try Cafe Casino instead. Whichever USA online casino you choose, I hope you find the right match for you. Remember to gamble responsibly and have fun!